Thursday, March 8, 2007

super duper ultimate travel computer!

Hells yeah!

The super duper ultimate travel computer** just arrived in the US! For whatever reason, Silly Sony refuses to admit the existence of this machine in Hong Kong, despite me going to a couple Sony stores and even pointing it out on the Sony website much to the bewilderment of the store managers. I don't know why - it's probably because of the stupid bundled Cingular locked plan they try to force on you with the thing.. I mean, don't they know TMobile's plan is like infinitely better for GPRS data? EDGE is just about no where in the US anyway, so what's the point?

er.. sorry, the inner geek showed a little there. I'll firmly lock him back up.

Anyway, aside from assorted odds and ends for reasons ("it's jam night tonight? Aww, I can't leave Hong Kong during Jam night..."), I've been waiting on the deep incursion into China for this computer to show up on my doorstep. Younger sister has agreed to forward the now-arrived box to HK and Fedex (who seems to lie a lot less than everyone else about shipping) says I can probably get this thing Monday, so I'm sitting tight on venturing out. I definitely don't want to go carrying my HP zv6008cl portable computer and boat anchor in my pack, so I went with something in the UltraMobilePC (UMPC) line. The Sony is a little over a pound, and with big pocket pants(tm), it can fit in your pocket.

So if that thing shows up say Monday, and I manage to sort out the Linux and whatnot by Weds, I'll either leave Weds night or end up caught in the open mic night/friday drinking binge/weekend silliness roundup and then head in next Monday.

We'll see. But the technical element of plan wander looks to be satiated..



** (For reference, the super duper ultimate travel computer is probably going to be quickly out super dupered, but for the moment it's a Sony VGN-UX390N. It's a bit overpriced at the moment, but that's probably because they know they've got the only serious contender on the market. Well, at least until OQO gets its act together..)

No comments: